April 1, 2011

Say Hello, Wave Good-Bye

Today is Cubs opening day at Wrigley Field - go Cubs go! For many in the Windy City, this means the beginning of a season of hope that maybe, just maybe, the Chicago Cubs will crush that curse and surprise all their fans with a winning season. The start of baseball season signals the unofficial start of spring. Even though the official start is March 20, we Chicagoans have still been waiting to retire our winter coats, gloves, and boots. For me, this time of year will be welcomed with a heavy heart. There were some amazing pieces in my closet that made my fall and winter a study in the power of fashion over the mind, body, and spirit...and the onset of seasonal affective disorder. I would like to take this opportunity to pay homage to these items in the hopes that you may be able to locate them in the clearance sales and so I can give them one last flight of glory.

First, I give you the Club Monaco faux fur vest.  It literally changed my life. I was able to wear it with anything and everything...button downs of white, plaid, or chambray, turtlenecks, graphic print shift dresses, bright long sleeve tees, thin sweaters and combined with skinny or flare jeans, solid short skirts, patterned pencil skirts, and bootcut corduroy, skinny cargo, and harem pants. Under a winter wool jacket or green army jacket, it created extra warmth and visual appeal around the neckline. 

Second, we have the Nine West over the knee flat suede black boots. I bought them at the outlet in Aurora, but also saw them at the Halsted location store in mid March. They were featured in my post, "What to wear NOW." Whether it was with jeans, leggings, or tights these puppies added a certain casual chicness. I especially liked that they were loose and featured a tie top. Although the below picture is not the exact boots that I own, you get the idea.

Third, a colorful, graphic, silk, loose fitting tank. I found mine in a boutique in Auburn, GA. The colors are vivid and include turquoise, yellow, gray, red, blue, green, black, white, and orange. I know that it sounds like a Chicago Style hot dog; however, it's stunning and with all the colors, it's easy to match it with anything! I wore it under blazers, over turtlenecks, belted or loose, with jeans, leggings, and skirts of all shapes and sizes. I know I will continue to wear it in the spring and cooler summer days, but it brought such life to my winter wardrobe, I had to include it. If you come upon something similar...invest!

Fourth, my Michael Kors gold boyfriend watch and Kenneth Jay Lane gemstone ring, which seem like one item to me since I have yet to wear one without the other. They were gifts from two very different, but equally important men in my life I think they speak for themselves in their versatility and beauty.

Fifth, my J.Crew wool mini skirt in mustard. I bought it at the outlet in Aurora. If you haven't gone, make plans to go ASAP! It was featured in my post "Mixing Brights! Go boldly where you have yet to go..." I've worn it with blue, red, black, brown, navy, purple, and gray...and all the patterns and textures in between. The short length and a-line fit are the best features. Talk about a new neutral! I also found many uses for a long sleeve tee and boyfriend cardigan, both in this hue.

Sixth, another J.Crew outlet find, a sequined crewneck sweatshirt. The genius combination of fancy and comfortable in one piece. It really spoke for itself when worn with anything, so I kept it minimal with jeggings and leggings with boots or Converse All Stars; however, it also held it's own belted with a black pencil skirt and pumps and over a button down with gray corduroys!

Finally, I will end with the chambray shirt. The denim on denim trend steamrolled its way into Fall of 2010 and isn't going away. It has taken the place of the white button down and become as as easy as jeans themselves. Whether you pair it with a lace or sequined skirt, a sweater or blazer, corduroys or cargos, or dark denim and boots, it's all appropriate. Much like the aforementioned tank, I will continue to wear this through the coming months; however, it will no longer fulfill the role of the quintessential layering piece.

Well, there you have it folks. My tried and true of the fall and winter...faux fur vest, over the knee flat boots, colorful silk tank, gold watch & ring, mustard skirt, sequined sweatshirt, and chambray shirt. Bring on the spring and summer for all new staples!

No comments: